Sunday, February 14, 2016

Marker Project 2016 - TiPX Loadout (Work in Progress) Part 1

I've decided to do a series of blog entries as I build my first mag fed loadout for the upcoming paintball season.  My objective is to help others learn from my research as I go into this as a newcomer to the world of mag fed paintball.  I spent some time in my last post going over my rationale for choosing the Tippmann TiPX for my first marker, so I won't spend much time reviewing that. Instead, these posts will serve to mark my progress as I buy kit pieces to form my new loadout.

Let's start with the marker itself.  There are two main choices to consider when shopping for a TiPX.  There is a standard package which includes the TiPX marker with two 7 round true feed magazines, a spare parts kit, and a hard carrying case. This package sells for $219.00 (U.S.) from most paintball retailers.  The second option is Tippmann's deluxe TiPX package which substitutes the hard case for a drop holster and an extra magazine. Tippmann sells this second option for $249.00 (U.S.). Each of the standard kits features a black TiPX, but buyers are also able to purchase the same package with a TiPX in Coyote Brown or OD green for an additional $20.00.
TiPX - All Stock

I personally opted for the black TiPX with the deluxe kit so that I would have a carrying option and a spare magazine.  I'm not entirely sure if I will continue to use the standard magazines once I have all of my kit components assembled, but that has yet to be determined.  After adjusting the drop holster that Tippmann provided, I have some reservations about using it as a viable way to carry the marker if I use my TiPX as a secondary on the field.  The fit and overall size of the holster make it feel somewhat unwieldy and bulky when worn on the upper thigh, but perhaps the fit just needs some more fine tuning.

The only other accessory that I have purchased for the marker at this time is an after market barrel.  I must admit that my initial reason for buying the barrel was for use on my Tippmann A5 rather than for the TiPX specifically.  I originally purchased an 8 inch Lapco Bigshot Assault barrel in their 0.690" bore size.  The 8 inch barrel is actually designed for the TiPX, as it has a smaller outer diameter than Lapco's other barrels to fit into the marker's barrel shroud.  I like the length of this barrel for the A-5 as well as I tend to prefer getting up close into CQC distances where having a smaller marker length profile is necessary.

Having a better after market barrel for the TiPX also means improved efficiency and accuracy as a primary marker, and all of the reviews that I found for the Lapco Bigshot Assault indicated that it was a very good barrel for round balls. This barrel is a bit on the pricey side with an MSRP of around $57.00, but the gains in performance are substantial enough to justify the upgrade.  

I did also buy a Lapco Apex 2 adapter which is compatible with the Bigshot Assault.  I'm not sure if I will end up using an Apex tip with the TiPX, but mounting it to the marker gives it a very cool, stealthy aesthetic.  I'll have to test out the practicality of the attachment before making my final verdict. My original plan was to use the adapter for my A-5 as I found the original barrel that came with the Apex 2 tip to be too long and heavy.
Aggressively Cool (TiPX with Lapco Bigshot Assault Barrel, and Apex 2 adapter)

That's all I have for this first part of my marker project series, but I have quite a few kit and marker upgrades in mind for this marker and for my loadout.  I will continue to post updates as updates are added. Until next time.

See you on the field!

~Kalen

No comments:

Post a Comment